Welcome to GNAppWorks!
Salisbury University’s Business, Economic, and Community Outreach Network (BEACON) and the Eastern Shore Regional GIS Cooperative (ESRGC), Departments of Information and Decision Sciences, Mathematics and Computer Science, Geography and Geosciences, Nursing and other academic and outreach units of Salisbury University plan to collaborate to form GNAppWorks: A mobile application development initiative for government agencies and non-profit organizations.
GNAppWorks will serve several purposes, including:
- 1. Bringing together a variety of skill sets of faculty and students in cross-institutional collaboration.
- 2. Reaching out to meet needs in the community and fill the gaps in the mobile market.
- 3. Experiential learning for students.
- 4. Attract STEM students.
- 5. Effectively pull together and utilize limited resources.
- 6. Push applications to lower socio-economic classes who may have access to handheld devices but not personal computers.
- 7. Provide resources to increase staffing in tough times.
- 8. Economic Development at the system-level (SU) and micro-level (community/region).
- 9. Interdisciplinary work by students and faculty.
Description of the project:
To form an entity that develops mobile platform applications for government and non-profit organizations, called GNAppWorks. These apps will be available for a variety of platforms including iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, and Android. Although the market is currently flooded with apps for both the individual consumer and private companies, government entities and non-profit organizations have typically been left out of the target market. The number of applications for such organizations is nearly endless, from tracking open foster care beds, disseminating women’s health information, tracking equipment for the Department of Defense, to risk management and disaster prevention.